Increasing metabolism rate is one of the articles I have always written as it is often being asked by blog readers. Many have much interest in this topic because metabolism rate is the rate at which body burns calories. If you have higher metabolism, you will burn more calorie faster and therefore can slim down quicker.
Few factors influencing your metabolism. They include:
- Age. The older you are, the slower the metabolism.
- Gender. Guys generally have higher metabolism than girls.
- Amount of Muscles. The more lean muscles you have, the more calories you will burn, even when you are resting.
Yes, your body will still require energy from calories when you are sitting down doing nothing. You need calories to perform body functions such as heart beating, breathing, brain functions and others.
Now, let’s find out how to increase metabolism rate. Before I go on, just to manage your expectation – I am not going to offer you any short cut. In fact, for most of my long time blog readers, you may have already known most of the items listed below. But, it is always good to have another round of reminder.
1) The easiest way to boost metabolism is to do cardiovascular exercise. You can jog, run, swim, row or cycle. The important thing is to raise your heart rate and do the activity for about half an hour. During this half an hour, do not just do it with the same pace. Start with low intensity for the first minutes, then increase the intensity before slowing it down. Do this cycle of pace few times. With the change of intensity, you will keep your metabolism higher, even after your workout.
2) However, if you are really serious in boosting your metabolism in the long run, you need more muscles. Muscles burns more calories. Every pound of muscle will burn 30 to 40 calories a day. How to have more muscles then? You will need to strength training to build lean muscle. Push up, squat, bench press, shoulder lateral raise and other workouts are great workouts to help you building more muscles. Ladies, if you think weight training is a BIG no to you, not really as women have less testosterone and therefore not so easy to have big muscles with veins.
3) Many dieters skip meals or reduce their caloric intake drastically within short time frame. Contrary to belief, this approach actually backfire. Human body is designed to protect us from hunger. Once the food intake is reduced suddenly, the metabolism will slow down to conserve energy. Over time, even when you eat (the same amount of food), your body will still be slower to use the calories as fuel, creating a backlog of unwanted pounds. Do not get me wrong, you can reduce your calorie consumption. Just make sure you do not cut the intake too much too fast. In fact, the better approach will eat 5 to 6 smaller meals throughout the day, instead of 3 meals a day.
These above 3 things are something you should incorporate in your weight loss program. Wait, how about supplements? I know that you are wondering whether diet supplements which claim to increase your metabolism. You probably have read stimulants like caffeine can increase metabolism rate. Some girls are drinking green tea days and nights too hoping it will help them shed some fat. I do not find any conclusive evidence saying that these supplements can have great influence on metabolism. Even if they have, it will be able to do so marginally. Instead of relying on these “fat burning” foods, change your lifestyle – do cardiovascular exercise, train with weights and watch your diet, and you should see the result after 3 to 6 months.
Category: Weight Loss
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.
Found what you were looking for? If not, try searching for it below.