Lips are very sensitive because they have many nerve endings. That is why you feel good when you kiss but painful in cold season. Lips do not have any sebaceous (oil) glands in lips, they are poorly moisturized. Therefore, lips may become dry and cracked in low humidity and cold environment.
Causes of Cracked Lips:
- Extremes in weather may cause your lips to dry out.
- Sun can damage your skin and at the same time, you can have tanned lips too.
- Strong cold wind can cause lip damage too if you do not cover them well.
- If you do not drink enough water, dehydration can cause lips to crack too.
- Cracked lips may be caused by cosmetics product such as lipstick. I mean, the allergic reactions.
Chapped lips are painful and look painful. When you see others with cracked lips, your normal first reaction is to lick your own lips. If not treated properly, the lips may crack and bleed. What can you do to prevent and treat chapped lips?
How To Prevent Chapped Lips
- When you first feel your lips begin to dry, your first instinct is to lick your lips trying to hydrate them. Licking your own lips may offer temporary relief from dry lips. But, once the saliva dries, the lips are left even more dehydrated than before. Licking your lips strips away your lips already very little natural protective oil. Furthermore, saliva contains enzymes that help digest food, which will irritate sore lips even more. Also, licking your lips may also get bacteria to them. So, do not lick your lips when you feel they are dry.
- Drink plenty of water as it help to hydrate the lips. Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day. Avoid caffeinated beverages like coffee, tea or Coke. Limit the amount of alcohol too.
- When you are outdoors in the sun, apply lip balm that contains sunscreen. But, avoid heavily flavored lip balms because you may lick your lips more often. One of the good lip blams is Chapstick. The original Chapstick helps to keep the lips moist and good for prevention. It gives the lips a natural gloss appearance and elasticity. The newer medicated Chapstick promotes healing while keeping the lips moist. Chapstick is probably the first most well known cracked lip protection product. Nowadays, many more new products are highly effective too. Some of them also come with sunscreen. You can find them from Amazon.
- Stop smoking. Smoking strips your lips of its oil and dries them out. When the lips pucker to inhale drawing the air across the lips, the lips become dryer. Cigarette smoking causes wrinkling, particularly around the mouth.
- If the air is dry in your room, invest in a humidifier to keep some moisture in the air.
- If you are using lipstick, wear a hygiene lipstick under your cosmetic lipstick. Cut down the beauty lipstick in cold season. Use of lips gloss should be avoided too as low temperatures make it thicker which causes lips to dry. Careful about using long lasting lipsticks too. Since these lipsticks do not have any moisturizers, your lips may dry ups even more. Apart from that, their formulas contain components and coloring agents which clog the pores.
How To Treat Chapped Lips
- Before you treat the chapped lips, remove dry skin from the lips. The deposit of dead cells will cause more drying and flaking. To remove them, apply a small amount of Vaseline to a soft toothbrush and gently rub the bristles over your lips. If your lips are to the point of bleeding, do not do that though.
- Some of the recommended home remedies:
- Apply olive oil or butter on your lips.
- Some prefer aloe vera.
- Some use cucumber slice on lips.
- If your lips are inflamed or does not respond to any of the above treatment, visit your physicians or dermatologist. They may suggest you to apply hydrocortisone cream on the lips to reduce swelling.
Hopefully, with the above tips, you will be able to prevent and cure your chapped lips.
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.