Men and women tend to have fat at the side of our tummies which is the so called love handles. We may not be able to spot reduce at this spot specifically, but we can do exercise to tone it. Side bridge or also commonly known as Side Plank on Elbow is a good exercise for your core muscles at your oblique (muscle at your side of your abs) and lower back. This yoga-inspired exercise improves lower back endurance and therefore prevent back pain.
- Lie on one side with knees bend at about 90 degrees on an exercise mat. Support your upper body with your forearm and your elbow is directly beneath the shoulder.
- Life the hips from the floor. Slightly contract your gluteals (butt) and abdominal to keep the body in good alignment. Do not let your hips to saw toward the floor. Watch yourself in the mirror to make sure you do this side bridge with good form.
- Keep your neck and spine in an aligned position. Do not twist or tilt your head.
- For beginner, hold the position between 5 and 10 seconds as the start.
- Repeat on the other side.
- When you becoming better, hold the position until you can no longer maintain a solid bridge.
- To make the exercise more difficult, you can extend your legs. In this pose, your body forms a diagonal plank from ankles to neck.
- If you dare, try holding a medicine ball with your free hand, extending your arm straight up from your shoulder, as shown.
- If you do not break a sweat, you are not working hard enough for this workout.
- Side Plank is different than the normal Plank abs workout, though its concept is the same.
I like this abs and lower back workout because it can be done at home. No special equipment is needed. Body weight is good enough.
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.