An old news, but worth reading. In year 2004, Tesco, one of the biggest supermarket chain in the UK, has introduced a special trolley in Kensington and West London outlet. It is a trolley but with fitness attachments, enabling you do a workout while you shop. Source
This trolley, designed by German company Wanzl, aims to get city folks to work out even when they are shopping. With the increasing concern about obesity and the fitness craze, Tesco hoped that it would be offering something unique to its customers so that they would keep coming back to the stores.
This cool trolley is called “Trim Trolley”. Some of its features include:
- It has a reader showing heart rate as well as how much calories have been burnt.
- User can choose the resistance level, from 1 to 10.
- The longer the user push the trolley, the tougher it will be.
These carts cost £500 as opposed to the standard £50 cart. One cart is more expensive than a mobile phone and Tesco should be happy if thieves did not push them back home.
In a typical 40-minute grocery shopping, one may burn up to 160 calories with a normal trolley. With Trim Trolley for the same amount of time, shopper may burn about 280 calories which is equivalent of a 20-minute swim.
What I think:
- With the calories burnt, shoppers may stay at bakery or confectionery aisles longer to buy more junks foods thinking that they have earned them with the additional exercise.
- Instead of using this Trim Trolley, one can actually carry basket instead of using trolley to carry few items. I am sure the shopper will burn more calories with basket.
- Also, parking your car further away and walking up the stairs instead of using escalators help burn more calories too.
- Tesco actually did not need to invest in Trim Trolley. I have seen many trolleys have spoil wheels which hardly roll, resulting resistance when we try to push them in straight line or around corner. Tesco should have collected these trolleys and encourage shoppers to use them if they want to burn more calories.
Needless to say, this Trim Trolley did not take off well. I guess it was probably due to the irritated shoppers who want less work and not more.
What do you think?
Category: Fitness News
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.
Found what you were looking for? If not, try searching for it below.