I guess most people prefer hot shower, especially during winter. As I am staying in a country with equatorial climate, I quite like cold shower in hot days. Some people have been saying that cold water is better whereas some prefer hot shower. Actually, you can have hot and cold shower in one session. I will talk about that later.
First of all, we need to define what exactly is cold and hot shower. If the water temperature is between 50 degrees and 70 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees to 21 degree Celsius), it is cold shower. If the water temperature is more than 96 degrees (35 degree Celsius), it is considered hot shower. Now, let’s look at when you should consider taking hot shower:
When To Take Hot Shower?
Hot shower can be used to relieve cold symptoms. The hot steam works like a natural decongestant. It moisturizes your nasal passages as well. So, if you have a blocked nose next time, you know what to do.
If you are having stiff neck after a long night sleep, the hot stream of water can help relaxing your stiff muscles for better neck movement.
When To Take Cold Shower?
We always joke about “cold shower” which is something a guy has to do to control his raging hormones. Put that joke aside, cold shower actually is beneficial for man who is trying to be a father. The cold water helps stimulate testicles to produce more sperm.
Why Hot and Cold Water?
Yes, instead having to choose only hot or cold water, you can have both. Hot water makes the blood rush to your skin and cool water makes the blood rush to your organs. The switching between hot and cold water triggers better blood circulation. You may switch between hot and cold water, but ending the shower with cold water will help in blood circulation. Good blood circulation helps people who suffer from rheumatism and muscle pains.
Hot water also opens the pores of the skin. When you wash, it cleans up your pores. When you then shower with cold water, it closes your pores and prevent them from easily clogged with dirt and oil. With hot and water on your face this way, you will be able to minimize skin acne and reduce the swelling of dark circles under your eyes. In short, the alternate mixed of hot and warm water gives you a better skin.
Because you have warmed your body with hot water at the start, it is indeed not easy to switch to cold water. If you find it hard to tolerate the cold water, here are some tips:
- You begin with your usual warm shower. When it is done, step out of the water stream and turn down the hot water leaving only the cold water running.
- Wet your feet with the cold water.
- Then, splash the water on your face and arms.
- Next, step under the shower.
You can begin a shower that lasts only a couple of seconds. Keep doing it for consecutive few days. After 1 month, you should be able to stand the cold shower for longer period. Rule of thumb is to do it gradually and not to torture yourself.
Things To Be Aware Of:
- For those you still do not feel warm no matter how many attempts you try, forgo cold shower. You can still wet your body with cold water using sponge on your feet, hands, face and rest of your body after your warm shower.
- However, if you are very thin, it is normal for you to unable to tolerate cold showers in the beginning. For people with high blood pressure, I do not encourage you to try cold shower as it may cause a spike in blood pressure.
- Never get out of a cold shower into a cold room. Make sure you dry yourself with towel before you leave the shower room.
- For woman, you should not take cold shower during menstruation period. Lukewarm shower is more suitable.
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.