While I always encourage my blog readers to work out at gym, what I often miss out is actually exercising at home. I have written number of posts about gym going, so, this time, let me go through the pros and cons of working out at home. I will also share some tips if you prefer to exercise at home.
Few good reasons you should consider working out at home:
- If the only gym in your area is still an hour drive away, it may make sense for you to consider working out at home. Commuting to and fro may be too much hassle or time wasting for you in this case. Also, not forget to mention with the high fuel cost and vehicle maintenance.
- Your gym is too small with too many members lining up waiting to use the equipment. Instead of spending an hour at gym, you end up spending few hours there without much productive workouts. Some people then have to go to gym at odd hours like 6 AM or 11 PM just to avoid the crowd. If you have flexible working hours to do so, not so bad. Still, gyms suppose to provide you the convenience and not expecting you have to adjust your time to suit them. So, exercising at home gives you the flexibility.
- Most gym memberships are paid monthly basis for long term and some of them require members to pay upfront 1 or 2-year of fee. Not everyone, especially students, can afford to sign up those packages. A better option in this case will be exercising at home.
- I know few of my female friends are more comfortable to work out at home. You probably have seen well toned women frequenting your gym often. When you thought that they can be good role models, these women can actually be intimidating to other women. Other women may therefore not wanting to exercise along with these babes. Add men to the equation, it makes thing worse. So, many rather stay at home and find their own ways to exercise.
- Some people also do not want to share equipment with others. It can be hygiene issue.
Yes, for some, working out at home is a good choice. For others, including me, prefer to work out at gym. Few drawbacks you should be aware of before you set up your home gym or investing in dumbbells or treadmill.
- Some people find that it is tempting to put off their workouts. They find it hard to motivate themselves to exercise at home. Having the machines at home give them lame excuses like “No worry, I can use my cycling machine anytime, let’s do it after dinner.” After the meals, they may say, “Well, if I am full now, I will do it tomorrow.” So, instead of letting this convenience to help you, it has backfired. You should really take advantage of it – exercise anytime you want at your own privacy. In short, self-discipline is important.
- Apart from that, most home gym equipments are not as good as those at the gym. Some gyms have indoor swimming pools with lanes for aerobic swimmers. Also, the variety of machines you can have at home is definitely no match that of a gym. Unless you have a huge space at your place to store those machines and with big budget to spare, gym machines are always more and better. The other issue is that if the equipment is too cumbersome to move in and out from your store room, it will eventually ends up hidden in the store room collecting dust. Check out my article of 13 Tips To Choose A Perfect Fitness Equipment For Your Home
- When you exercise alone at home and need some assistance, whether getting someone to spot you or getting instruction to use the machine, you will not get anyone’s help.
- My friend’s mum has a elliptical machine in the living room. I often see her get distracted whenever she is exercising, either picking up phone calls or putting clothes into the washing machine and end up doing other house works. I wonder whether she really has a good workout at the end of the day.
- For people who like meeting new friends, exercising at home will not give you that benefits too. (Some single people may want to get to know others.) For me, working out together with like-minded gym members give me the inspirations. For others, exercise is not a social activity. They just want to burn as many calories and strengthen as many muscles in as little time as possible. So, in their case, exercising at home is more practical.
Tips To Work Out At Home
Now, hopefully, you know what you want – whether to join a gym or work out at home. If you decide on the latter, you can start off with something simple. Here are few tips for people who plan to work out at home:
- Instead of rushing to buy a big piece of equipment. Invest in:
- Some inexpensive videos on aerobics or yoga or workout videos (check out Jillian Micheal’s one)
- Yoga mat
- Dumbbell sets
- Exercise ball
- Jump rope (check out this JumpSnap)
In fact, you can do quite a number of strength training using your own body weights. Those workouts include squats, push up, triceps dips, calf raise and others. Just make sure you do not fall into the trap of buying unnecessary fitness gadgets because of the fancy commercials you see in television.
- Even if you work out at home, you should still wear your workout clothes. Wearing them will get you in the mood of exercising and motivate you to exercise harder. Wearing the workout clothes will serve as a reminder you should not be distracted to other house chores.
- Be patient. Do not expect miracle. If you can work out 3 to 4 times a week at home, it is indeed very good. You may not notice an instant change to your body shape, so, please do not abort your program halfway. Eventually, you will reap the benefits of exercising.
There is no right or wrong on the 2 options. While exercising at home have some great advantages, it does have some drawbacks too. Just remember that these two ways are not mutually exclusive. What I mean is that while you can work out at gym, you still can exercise at home occasionally. At the end of the day, what is more important is how often do you do it rather than where you do it.
In fact, when you are at home, activities like running up the stairs, carrying grocery bags from porch to kitchen, washing the cars or cutting the weeds are physical activities too. Doing those activities with your loved one or kids is pretty fun too. If you do no have fun, you will not stick with it for long. And yes, before I stop, don’t forget about your diet if you are seriously want to lose weight.
Category: Gym Going
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.