So, we have hot yoga. Sometimes, it can so hot that we want to wear less. Yes, lesser than having loose clothes. The latest trend in yoga requires much lesser than that. You thought it is a joke. Not really, it is for real. It is naked yoga.
Wait no more, several groups of yoga practitioners, in fact, getting more are excited about this new trend. Some might have started doing it earlier but not until a San Francisco community center is offering naked yoga. After that, many are inquiring about it. In fact, in year 2004, a guy named George Monty Davis had stripped to perform yoga nearby Fisherman’s Wharf, causing a public complaint. This incident has raised public awareness about naked yoga.
If naked gym can be accepted, why not naked yoga?
Why People Do Naked Yoga?
- Just like the normal yoga, naked yoga is based on the principles of accepting, loving and appreciating body in all shapes, sizes and flexibility. One is taught that naked yoga is not about sexual experience, it is a heart-opening experience. The class starts with everyone fully clothed. Classroom is normally enclosed with from floor-to-ceiling curtains to privacy reason. Then, students will take off their clothes and fold their clothes.
- After the class, many find that they are self-conscious about their bodies, be it stomach, legs, hands or some other packages.
- Some believe that naked yoga help them to concentrate, bringing the mind, body and spirit together. In naked yoga, everything seems to be longer. I mean, time wise. You stay in the pose longer. You go deeper. You are not there making a grocery list or where-to after class in your head. You are alert. Awake. You are naked. No place to hide. This practice strips you down. Literally and figuratively. This practice removes the clothes and the identities you place on yourself when you wear them.
- Instructors like the fact that being naked meant they could see the proper body pose more easily and make adjustments better. Without the clothes, students claimed that they are able to move more freely. I takes a practical view of the use of clothing in yoga. Yes, in a way, without clothing, greater amount of bone and muscle of the skeletal system are exposed.
Few Interesting Facts about Naked Yoga
- For those who are well endowed, when you do the downward facing dog, your boobs definitely will be hanging.
- So, if you are a guy, what if you get a hard on in the class? According to the instructors, that is part of being male. The question itself suggests shame. No big deal about erection. If it happens, it disappear pretty quickly too (unless you take Viagra before the class, I suppose).
- Unlike regular yoga classes, Naked Yoga draws more men than women for the obvious reasons. Unless you are very comfortable, you may just enroll all-girls classes. As for all-men classes, most are tailored for non-straight man for now.
I am all in of the idea of loving ourselves and accepting whom we are, but I am not certain whether naked yoga is the path for me to discover self-love. Doing yoga in nude is not for everyone. In this region where we have taboos on nudity, I doubt these classes will be at underground.
If you have tried naked yoga before, please share your experience, I would like to hear from you.
As for those who have not tried it, if you ever given a chance to do so, will you do it?
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.