Mariah Carey is well known for making music history. As of April 2008, she is the only artist since The Beatles to have the most number one singles in the United States. Ever since her debut in 1990, she has established her position as one of the highest-selling female singers (61.5 million copies of her albums). However, after her separation from Mottola, she went through a highly publicized emotional breakdown.
Mariah is also well known as a yo-yo dieter who has her weight fluctuating up and down for the past 10 years. But few weeks ago, she appeared in American Idol 2008 and she came on stage with an awesome body shape. In fact, she appeared on Oprah and told the world that she is determined with her weight loss plan. In this post, let’s see what she has done to make a comeback this time.
The reason Mariah is so committed this round because her close friend has made a comment about her weight. Mariah decided to make a permanent life change and got into a better shape once and for all. She has lost nearly 30 pounds (13.6 kilograms) in the last 7 month, which is about 4 pounds a month.
Mariah Carey’s Workout Routine
In an interview in The Oprah Winfrey Show, Mariah mentioned that she has flew Patricia Gay (one-to-one personal trainer) to be with her at New York. Not only Patricia works out with Mariah, she also monitors her diet by being her chef.
- Mariah works out between an hour to 2 hours and 3 to 4 times a week.
- She does cardiovascular exercise in a pool. Her trainer believed that exercising in water requires more effort and therefore burn more calories. However, the key reason is that Mariah loves water and the key to fitness is to do something you enjoy doing. Her trainer chose aqua exercise because she believes that Mariah could build stronger muscle, but not bigger muscles in water.
- She uses mostly her body weight in resistance training.
- She also works out specific muscle with Pilates.
Mariah Carey’s Diet
- Mariah eats food which cooked with minimum oil or butter.
- Her meals consist of lean protein (fish and chicken), vegetables, fruits, and soup.
- Mariah has also avoided fast food even she likes Big Mac, bread and pasta. However, sometimes, she spoils herself with one or two bites of them.
- Here are the detailed Mariah’s daily menu:
- Breakfast: A two-egg omelet with fruit or maybe a piece of bread if her weight is good. If she is going to have active day, she has a bit more.
- Lunch: Protein, such as fish, chicken or even steak.
- Dinner: Protein and vegetables, such as swordfish and spinach.
- Snakcs: Apple or raw vegetables
Here are some of the collection of Mariah Carey’s photos between year 1990 and 2008:
1999 – Gained weight
2003 – Appearing in Maxim magazine
2004 – Gaining weight again
2005 – Weight reached the max.
2006 – I am not so sure whether showing so much of flesh is necessary.
2006 – Slimmed down to appear in Rolling Stone magazine
2007 – Featured as cover girl in Playboy Magazine
2008 – A new start, a better one?
Despite the hard work and diet plan, the real success is actually Mariah’s determination. After going through ups and downs in her life (including her weight, up and down too as shown in the above photos), Mariah Carey knows that she needs to change. She finally took control of her life with much discipline and no longer doing bad things to her body.
Mariahs stands at 5 feet 9 inches with less than 135 pounds. After making the changes by losing 30 pounds in 7 months, Mariah finally realizes that weight loss is not just about number on scale. So, how does she find out whether she has gained weight? She uses her clothes as indication – if they fit better, then she knows that she has lost some weight. Also, it is about feeling good with a healthier body and being comfortable in her own skin.
In an interview, Mariah said that she may want to release a workout video inspired by her recent weight loss. I think if she is able to maintain her current weight and not to gain weight for another time, then only she should consider to do so. We shall wait and see.
Category: Weight Loss
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.