My mum is always a wise consumer. But, one day, she told me that she has bought a “magic soap” which her friend claimed that can help burn tummy fat and “wash” away cellulite. She is not alone. Many more people are taking the easy way when they want to lose weight. This mindset opens the door to various fraudulent scams.
According to the statistic in year 2004, about 4.8 million consumers in the US were the victims of weight loss scams. In fact, this amount of victims are more than the foreign lottery scam. Therefore, it is good that you know what the common weight loss scams are out there so that you will not fall into any of them.
How To Spot Weight Loss Scams
Most of these weight loss products have at least two or more of the following characteristics:
- Be wary of claims that promise immediate or guaranteed weight loss products like pills, patches or creams.
- Scammers also exploit victim with promises of success with little effort. Many weight loss scams claims that you will achieve great results without having doing exercise or even modify your diet.
- Be cautious of vaguely worded testimonials that are hard be verified. Remember that testimonials should not be used as any substitute for scientific proof of a weight loss product’s effectiveness.
- Some also engage celebrities to sell the products. In almost all the cases, the celebrities already have that slim body shape before they become the spoke person for the products.
- Some of these products are sold outside normal commercial distribution channels. For example, through the internet, by unqualified individuals or mail order advertisements.
- Some also demands large advanced payment.
- Watch out for buzzwords such as “breakthrough,” “secret,” “exclusive,” or “miraculous” in advertisements. No scientific facts. Only misleading words. Some of the buzzwords are:
- Peel away the pounds by melting them.
- No more exercise. Lose weight the easy way.
- Another incredible discovery
- Absorbs fat like a magnet
- Clinically proven to burn fat without exercising
- Breakthrough natural weight loss product
How Not To Fall Into The Weight Loss Scams:
Do your homework. Some of the things you should have in mind:
- Remember that we do not have magic pills, creams or drinks that is meant for rapid weight loss.
- Look for evidence and not to trust the testimonials shown in the advertisements. They are actors who get paid to be on the TV. Always seek the advice of qualified health care professionals such as dietitian or your doctor. Losing money is one thing. Having your health affected badly because of these products is the last thing you want.
- Read all the terms and conditions carefully. Pay close attention to the terms for the “money back guarantee” offer.
If the product looks too good to be true, yes, it is probably is. When comes to weight loss products, it is wise to be skeptical. I hope that the next time you see an advertisement of “lose a pound a day and 7 pounds a week” weight loss product, you will know what to do.
Category: Weight Loss
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.