I am not sure you have experienced this before – you got on the treadmill or stationary bike, put on your headphones and suddenly found out that you are bored. You are not alone, I have been to that stage. Most of us get into workout routines. Just imagine swimming for 10 laps a day, 3 times a week, do it for the next 20 weeks and eventually you will get bored. While routine keep us on track, but doing the same thing for too long may eventually make you hate the exercise.
If you are bored with the usual stuff, it is time to shake things up a bit.
1) Try Something New
- Instead of running on treadmill, try rowing machine. Instead of exercising on the intensity you are comfortable with, change it to high intensity to make yourself work harder.
- Go join a fitness class. Pick one you have totally no idea what it is and try it. Who knows, you may like it.
- If you are doing strength training, instead of using same weight for 3 sets, you can try to either increase the weight from 10, 15 to 20 pounds or reduce it from 20, 15, 10 in 3 sets. Break your routine occasionally may give you better result.
- If you are an outdoor person, you can even try something more drastic like kayaking, rock-climbing or joining a team sport such as soccer or baseball.
Trying new things not only keep your body challenged, but also making you excited about exercising.
2) Exercise With A Buddy
Find a friend who has the same interest like yours. Having a companion jogging, cycling or lifting weight together will keep you from feeling lonely. You and your partner can even compete against each other to boost the moral. However, while exercising together, do not just talk constantly until you lose the focus in doing the exercise.
If you can afford, you can even get a personal trainer who can guide you with a new workout program.
3) Change Your Exercise Time
I normally work out at night during week days and rest on weekends. One fine Sunday, I decided to go to gym on morning. Surprisingly, changing the time working out has given me a total new experience. If you always go for a run in the mornings, try doing it at sunset. If you always work out after dinner, try doing it just before lunch. It feels like a whole new experience.
4) Allow Yourself to Do Less
Some people are very strict to their workout routine. Once they plan to run for 5 miles, they never stop until they hit the goal. Being committed is good. But, occasionally, you should give yourself permission to do less. Use the time saved to do something else, say spoil yourself for a nice steam bath or massage later.
5) Buy Things You Like
Similar with the fourth tip, occasionally, you should spoil yourself for meeting a fitness goal. You don’t have to buy expensive things to get yourself motivated. You can buy pedometer, heart rate monitor watch or new CDs. New pair of running shoes will tempt you to run more. I know many ladies find that buying new gym attire will get them working out more.
I have tried all the above tips occasionally and all of them have helped me to beat the boredom of exercising. But sometimes, it can be really boring to exercise. But, every time I think of how good I will feel after the exercise, I will just pack my bag and head towards the gym.
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.