For someone who is already 40 years old (born in 1969), Jennifer Aniston has always been in great shape ever since I first watched her in Friends back in 1995. She still looks healthy with her non-flabby arms even in her most recent films (Derailed, Marley & Me and He’s Just Not That Into You.) Being one of the richest women in entertainment industry, she has more reasons to maintain her current shape.
Now, let’s look at her secret, what she eats and what exercise she does.
Jennifer Aniston’s Diet
Jennifer does not follow blindly into any rigid detox diet in which only brown foods are permitted. However, she is a fan of Zone Diet which is a diet popularized in books by biochemist Barry Sears. It advocates consuming calories from carbohydrates, protein and fat in a fixed ratio of 40:30:30. This diet has been under debate for some time, but most devotees of Zone diet claim that this diet plan helps their weight loss success at reasonable rates. Jennifer has been taking Zone Diet to maintain her current slim body shape. But, what is more important is that she takes only good carbohydrates, lean protein and good fat.
Jennifer Aniston’s Workout Routine
Jennifer exercises about three to four times a week. Here is her routine:
- Cardiovascular Exercise
- In a typical day, Jennifer starts out with a 5-minute warm up and then proceed to do about 20 minutes of cardio. Sometimes, she runs on treadmill; sometimes, she trains on elliptical trainer. To beat the boredom, during these 20 minutes of exercise, she uses 1 + 2 alternate method – means, she does 1 minute of high intensity workout, followed by 2 minutes of moderate intensity and she continues alternating the intensity.
- On the so-called “high energy” day, in addition to what she does as mentioned above, she adds on another 15 minutes of treadmill run at 6 miles per hour speed with 1.5 incline platform.
- After the cardio session, Jennifer’s muscle will have been warmed up better for yoga poses. Her trainer, Mandy Ingber, leads her through five sun salutations of yoga poses for about 30 minutes. Jennifer loves the non-competitive nature of Yoga because it helps her to focus her energy in a peaceful state. For every pose, including bridge, tree pose, butterfly, she tries to hold for 30 to 60 seconds (with 5 to 10 deep breaths). After the yoga session, she does five minutes of abs workout and floor stretches.
- Even when Aniston was filing in Miami which the shooting started as early as 5 AM, she and her trainer were already up at 4 AM to get an hour of yoga before her long day of working.
- Many thought that Jennifer has been practicing Yoga for ages. Actually, she only started learning it in year 2005, the time when she announced separation with Brad Pitt after 5 years of marriage. Yoga has not only made her strong physically, but also build her mental strength and make her always look healthy from the inside out.
- Her trainer thought that Jennifer would not be able to stick with her yoga workout after the sore muscles she had right after the first day, but, Jennifer has proved her wrong.
- Stand Up Paddle
- Jennifer Aniston likes Stand Up Paddle (SUP) surfing during summer. In this sport, she stands on a large long board and then she propels herself with a canoe paddle. SUP works almost all important muscles in her body. She has to balance her legs while working paddle with her arms. It is actually harder than it looks. The main reason Jennifer likes this fun exercise because standing up paddle surfing on calm water is an enriching experience for her. She said that by standing up, she get a better view of what is above and below the water.
- Rumor says that Jennifer Aniston has picked up Budokon too. Budokon combines yoga poses with quick cardio aspect of martial arts training. It is a fusion of yoga and kickboxing. Jennifer’s best friend, Courney Cox, has also joined this fitness craze lately.
Jennifer was once trained with Kettle bells as her weight training routine in year 2007, but she stopped it because she complained that the workout was “disconnected” from her body.
Jennifer definitely likes to keep her body in great shape, but unlike Madonna, she denies that she is a “workout junkie”. In her own words, “I just like to stay in shape and if I gain a few pounds I just diet a bit and work out a bit harder that week to take off the weight.”
For me, Jennifer loves to explore new ways of exercising. From Yoga, Budokon, SUP to kettlebell, she tries and found something she enjoys, which I believe she will keep doing it for many years to come. If she continues to take good care of her body like she does now, I am sure that she will still look great even when she is 50.
Jennifer Aniston appearing in some of the magazines: