When many people, especially girls are trying to shed pounds to lose weight, some are actually trying to put on weight. It is common to forget people who struggle to gain weight. So, you may think, “Gaining weight is easy. What is the big deal about it?” You may be surprised that for hard gainers, gaining weight, I mean, in a healthy way, is as much as of a challenge too.
Most skinny people have high metabolism and they tend to burn calories faster than others. Others are thin because they do not have the appetite to eat. Some elderly people are underweight because of the gradual loss of taste and smell causing them to lose appetite.
I was underweight 7 years ago. I was below 50 kilogram (110 pounds). I often fell sick. It is true that skinny people tend to have weaker immune systems and low muscle mass. Women who are underweight may also have disruptions in the ability to regulate hormones and they may become unable to menstruate. With more flesh, you can wear many other clothing and look good.
I know how difficult for skinny guys to gain weight, especially if they inherit it from their parents who are also skinny. But, do not worry. Rest assured, I have been there and done that. Here are few tips to gain weight in a healthy way:
Top 4 Tips To Gain Weight In Healthy Way
- Some hardgainers attempt to eat everything hoping to put on weight. When they do, they are putting fat too. In order to gain quality weight, you have to consume quality nutrients.
- Eating more without a plan is unhealthy as you may eat junk food and oily food. Junk foods and fast foods normally has unhealthy saturated fats. You should still eat fats and oils, but take the healthy fats like omega-3 (from tuna, salmon, flax and walnuts) and keep them in moderation. They should account for not more than 30 percent of your total caloric intake. You do not want to simply gain weight with poor diet which lead you to heart disease or stroke when you age
- Eat foods which are high in calories. Add avocados and olive oil to sandwiches. Add chopped meat to your pasta sauce. Add peanut butter, jam or honey to your morning toast.
- Eat more protein rich foods such as salmon, tuna, chicken breast, walnuts, lean meats, seeds. How about protein supplement? Not really. Read this article Do We Really Need To Take Protein Supplement To Build Muscle? and Top 6 Protein Food
- Eat more often with at least 5 to 6 meals a day. Dividing few large meals into more smaller meals is actually a good eating habit as you give the sense of fullness to your stomach without the bloating feeling.
- Do not skip meals, especially breakfast.
- If you are a snack person, eat more healthy snack – The Easy Way To Control Weight By Eating Healthy Snack. Remember to add condiments such as yogurt, sour cream, sauces and dressings to plain foods and salads
- Do not forget fruits and vegetables. Go for starchy ones like rice, pumpkin, potatoes, carrots, beets and corn which give you extra calories. As for fruits, choose dense fruits like bananas, pears, apples and pineapple over watery fruit (oranges, watermelon, berries).
- Drink healthy beverages such as milk and fruit juices to add calories. Do not drink sugary sodas, which only add calories without nutrition. Avoid coffee because caffeine is stimulant that help increasing metabolism, which something you do not want.
- You must exercise, but not the high intensity cardiovascular exercises. In order to gain weight, you need to build muscle mass and not to accumulate fat at your tummy, thighs or butts. In other words, if you want a nice toned body to go along with extra weight, you need to train with weights so that you have the weight in the form of muscle as opposed to the form of fat. Moreover, exercising will stimulate your food appetites. Go for compound workouts such as squats, deadlift, bench press, pull up, and push up. Make sure you weight train 3 to 4 times a week.
- Ladies, do not be afraid of weight training as women will not be able to build bulky muscles due to the difference of hormone in your body compared to guys. Jessica Biel, Merisa Miller, Jennifer Aniston and Madonna work out with weights in gym and they all have nice toned muscles.
- For guys, do not feel intimidated by muscle men in the free weight area. Start with light weight and get the form correct. Look at what Ryan Reynolds, Rain and Taylor Lautner have done for the transformation.
- Get enough sleep. Check out the article of How Much Sleep is Enough and How Can You Sleep Better?
- Be patient and do what I outline above religiously. Just like losing weight, gaining weight will not happen overnight. If you are lucky, you will see the result within 2 months. Otherwise, you need to be persistent until you see the change. It can be months or even years.
At the end of the day, to gain weight, your total caloric requirement has to be more than what you use. All the best!
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.
Found what you were looking for? If not, try searching for it below.