You are determined to lose weight. So, you start to exercise. You watch your diet. You remember the rule of weight loss – calorie out must be greater than calorie in. You cut down junk food. You drink less soda. You know your consumed calories has been reduced. But, only few days you are on this program, you feel hungry most of the times. You are tempted to eat yet you told yourself you must not. You are starving and wonder you cut too much calories too quickly.
Rest assured, many people have gone through that stage. If you are ever been in this situation, read on to find out more.
1) First, your mind may be playing on the trick. You feel hungry, but you may not be in real hunger. Just because you keep telling yourself that you have eaten less these days, you may be kept reminded that you can eat more if you want to.
In this case, you need to get distracted. Go do something else to get yourself occupied. If you look at kids who play outdoor, they run around, play all day long without eating anything. If you look at kids who sit in front of the PC or TV, they like munching on foods (often junk food) and ended up being overweight. The same thing happes to adults who sit at desks the whole day. So, go cycling or play golf, or brisk walking or gardening. Just don’t sit still for long because you will end up feeling that you are hungry and start to look for food.
2) However, you could be in real hunger. You may increase too much physical activity and eat much less food. For example, instead of jogging for 30 minutes, you jog for an hour and swim for another 20 minutes yet at the same time, instead of eating a bowl of rice, you eat only half bowl. Yes, physically, you are hungry. In this case, you need to eat enough.
Here are few methods to “eat enough”:
- Having smaller meals throughout the day than just eat 2 ot 3 big meals. With series of smaller meals, you will feel full at different times. Your body will also digest the smaller meals better and allow you to burn off the calories quicker.
- Drink veggies soup. Avoid cream soup which is high in calorie and salt level.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables because they make you feel fuller because of the high fiber levels.
3) Some people, who have successfully shed many pounds, told me that it will not kill if you do not feed yourself at the first sign of hunger. What they mean is that do not starve yourself, but letting yourself feel hungry is not all bad. In fact, some even go on to do cardio exercise so that their bodies are forced to burn some of the body fat. While this method remains to be confirmed with more scientific conclusion, you can try and see how your body reacts.
4) Some people eat for hunger, but some people eat to comfort themselves. If you are the latter, you will face more challenges to overcome the feeling of hungry during your dieting effort. Do not take what you eat as comfort food. Take it as something to fuel your body. Eat to live and not live to eat. Once your attitude towards food is important, you seldom hungry unnecessary.
So, those are few methods you can try to overcome the hungry feeling when you are on diet. It is normal to take few weeks to get your body to get used to a new eating habit. When your body suddenly get less calories, you will feel hungry. After few weeks, you will eventually settle into the new eating routine and feel satisfied after each meal.
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.
Found what you were looking for? If not, try searching for it below.