Many smokers are aware of health issues caused by cigarettes, but many have failed to quit smoking, even with pills, patches or gum. Now, good news is that some one has a new way to help them. Read on to find out more.
A Chinese company, Golden Dragon, has invented the first electronic cigarette, Ruyan. Ruyan feels like a cigarette, looks like one and it can even emit vapor. In other words, it gives smokers a totally “new” smoking experience minus off the health risk.
How Ruyan Works:
- It is actually a battery powered atomizer which uses a Motorola chip. Low thickness nicotine is pumped into an atomizing cell by a miniature pump.
- By doing this, you will see fog of nicotine when the smoker inhale.
- Though no real smoke goes into the lung, this device delivers nicotine to the lungs within 7 to 10 seconds, giving a nicotine buzz almost immediately.
- The nicotines is contained in cartridge which can be replaced.
Ruyan does not come cheap. It is sold at $208 (about 1,600 yuan) per piece and the cartridge is $4 with about 350 puffs each. In China alone, it has about 400 million smokers. If the company sells this cigarette replacement to 10% of them, the revenue will be 10 figure! In fact, the company has come out with electronic cigar.
- These are some of the advantages of Ruyan I could think of:
- By not burning tobacco and being non-inflammable, Ruyan does not leave an unpleasant smell or smoke. The notorious second hand smoke will not be seen.
- It is free of tar and other substances which is harmful.
- When other smokers cannot dine in air-conditioned restaurant, with Ruyan, you can go into any place you want.
- Having said that, I am not so sure whether this electronic cigarette should be the long term solution for smokers who really want to quit smoking. It is probably healthier, but the nicotine goes into the lung directly. It is replacing smoking habit with another.
- No doubt, nicotine patches also have nicotine, but Ruyan gets the drug into the brain faster than the absorption. A Beijing based newspaper reported in 2006 that one puff of Ruyan contains 18 mg nicotine compared with 1.2 mg from a typical cigarette. The company has denied that. It claimed that its product has actually followed the Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) guideline recommended by the WHO.
- Until a conclusive study has been done, Ruyan remains in a gray area in the war against smoking. While Ruyan is a way to look cool (with the fake smoke), I still believe that smokers should be determined to fix the bad habit, once and for all, by quit smoking totally and not to use any replacement like this.
Category: Fitness Gadget/Equipment
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.
Found what you were looking for? If not, try searching for it below.