I often suffer from sore throat. In fact, just had another terrible one last week. Took about 5 days to fully recover. Here is the post to summarize what I have gone through and what I found from the net.
Many rely on antibiotic whenever they suffer from sore throat. The truth is that sore throat can be caused by either virus or bacteria. It is easy to differentiate between virus and bacteria infection. Virus infection leads to flu whereas bacteria normally leads to tonsillitis, pneumonia and ear infections. Bacterial sore throats respond well to antibiotics whereas viral infections do not. Doctor may prescribe antibiotic even if it is viral infection. Why? Because virus lower patient’s resistance to bacterial infections. So, to avoid secondary attach, antibiotics may become necessary.
While antibiotic seems to be the savior, fear not, if you are under viral or bacteria attack, let me share with few natural remedies that you can cure and relieve your sore throat.
- Drink more water. Yes, I know that this tip is nothing new. But, increase your liquid intake is important.
- Gargle with salt water. Add half teaspoon of table salt into a glass of warm water. Gargle few times throughout the day. If you wonder why I suggest you to do so – this remedy washes away the mucus at your throat. Capillaries at that part will be dilated too and therefore increasing the blood supply to that are. With better blood flow, you will have better circulation of infection-fighting antibodies.
- Eat garlic. Garlic is an anti-septic food.
- Drink a glass of hot water with lemon juice and honey. I assure you that you will get quick relief and feel better instantly. I find that this traditional remedy help alleviate the irritating throat “tickle”. If you are allergic to lemon, you may use only honey.
- Normally, your body needs about a week to build the antibodies to destroy the virus. If you cannot stand for the pain, take mild pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen. As for me, I prefer to go for non-prescription throat lozenges.
If your sore throat persists after one week, please see your doctor. Also, if you have difficulty in breathing or swallowing your food, fever or blood in saliva, consult your doctor too. If an antibiotic is prescribed, make sure you finish it as full course. Otherwise, the infection will probably be suppressed and not being eliminated. It may make a comeback few days later.
Hopefully, next time when you have sore throat, you know what to do.
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.