Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has invented the Arnold Dumbbell press (also known as Rotational Shoulder Press). Otherwise, it would have been known as Bush Press or Clinton Press. It is a compound exercise with wide range of motion. Main muscle worked are shoulders (front and side deltoid muscles). Triceps are involved too.
- For beginner, I suggest you to do Arnold Press sitting with back upright supported by the bench.
- Hold two dumbbells in front of you at about upper chest level with your palms facing your body at the beginning of the lift.
- As you press the weight overhead, slowly turn the dumbbells so your palms are facing away from your body.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells and simultaneously rotate your palms back toward your body to the original starting position.
- Do 2 to 3 sets with 8 to 12 repetitions each set.
- Start out with a light weight when first attempting this exercise, until your muscles get used to the movements.
- Do not arch your back.
- Do not have to lock your arms overhead.
- Once you have mastered the skill, you can try doing Arnold Dumbbell Press while you are standing.
- In case you need spotter’s assistance, spotting can be done behind you either by holding on to your wrists or elbows.
In short, an excellent to have shoulders like Mr Terminator.
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.