In US, lawmakers in the state of Mississippi are planning to create a bill to stop restaurants from serving food to obese people. Source. The state has the highest obesity rate in the USA. If this bill really goes through, all food establishments will need to rely on few criteria to define whether one is obese.
- As expected, with airlines are already thinking of charging more on overweight passenger, obese people take this move as a discrimination. If a business refuses providing service based on ethnicity or gender, people will jump. Now, if obese people are denied food in restaurant, it can a discrimination too. I just find it hard to see waiter weighing every customers before they are allowed to enter the restaurant.
- In fact, using the same logic, anorexic should be banned from using bathrooms in the restaurants.
- Thin people have to eat. Obese people have to eat. Obese people who are losing weight also have to eat too. By banning them to eat out, every obese people has to eat at home. With this bill, if they are still allowed to go into the restaurants, when the waitress hands out menus to others, the menu which fat customers will get probably blank inside.
- If one is overweight, he should take responsibility on his weight problem. I have never seen restaurant ties people up, put a gun over their head and asked them to swallow their food. We control what we eat.
- Sometime I think some legislators having too much time to come out with silly bill like this. Ironically, John Read, who proposed this bill, he himself is overweight with 5 foot 11 and 230 pounds. Lawmakers should teach the kids to eat right from small – getting rid of soft drinks in school and stop misleading fast food advertisements in TV.
- Many years ago, black people were not allowed to eat in with white customers. Now, fat people are not allowed to eat with skinny people in restaurants. How sad.
- After this bill, more drastic thing can happen. Obese people may be banned from buying junk food, other than vegetables, lean meat and fish. If any of them are found to have banned fatty food, special trained armed force (like SWAT) will be sent to arrest them. Obese people can only buy these food from underground black market with high price. The thin will get richer and the fat will get poorer. Civil war will take place. Sorry, just talking crap.
Before you jump or talk crap like me, this legislation is not meant to be approved, but to be spark discussion to raise awareness of the obesity issue. May be Mississippi should the way like what a mayor in Italy doing – pay people to lose weight.
So, what is your comment about this bill?
Category: Fitness News
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.