Lying Triceps Press is an isolation exercise which triceps are worked out. It is probably the best exercise to build size and strength, particularly the large inner head of the triceps muscle. I like the lying tricep extension and I have always performed it as the first exercise for my triceps workouts.
- Sit on a flat bench holding an EZ-Curl bar with an overhand grip (palm facing away from body).
- Use a moderate weight for a start.
- With the bar resting on your thighs, lie back on the bench and bring the bar to your chest.
- Push the bar directly over your chest and fully extend your arms.
- Keep your upper arms stationary throughout the exercise, lower the weight until it almost touches your forehead.
- Use your triceps to extend your arms and bring the weight back up to the original position. The bar should travel in a smooth arc at a regular speed.
- Make sure your elbows do not move too much, try to keep them the same width apart during the whole movement.
- Be sure to maximally contract your triceps at the top of the movement.
- I suggest using an EZ Curl bar because it is generally more comfortable and will place less stress on the wrists then a straight bar.
- You can also perform this lift with dumbbells.
- You may need a spotter yo hand you the weight before and after the exercise.
(The guy is wearing slippers. Don’t be like him. Never risk your toes.)
- It is worth mentioning that lying triceps presses are called “skull crushers” too because the bar can crush our skulls if we are not careful when we lower the weight. Once the bar nearly touches the forehead, push the bar upwards to the extended position. You do not really need to let the bar to touch your forehead.
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.