My cousin brother has bought me some Larabars from overseas. He is a big fan of this so called all-natural healthy bar. I have tried it myself and here are some interesting facts:
- Larabar contain whole food ingredients, 100%. You will find only 2 to 7 ingredients, depending on the flavor. Yes, as little as 2 ingredients. I find it unbelievable that the food label is so simple.
- Unlike Powerbar, it does not give you 40 gram of protein.
- It has mainly fruits, walnuts, almonds, healthy oils and spices in bar form which can be consumed as snack. The carbohydrates come from fruit. You will not also find sugar, cornstarch, syrup, soy or rice flour. No preservative.
- No milk too, with the exception of flavors which have chocolate chips.
- The consistency of the bar is great too. No coatings to melt. Easy to break into half. Easy to chew, but non-crumbly.
Without those ingredients, you may wonder it taste good. While I dare not claim every flavor is good, those I have tried are indeed nice. A bit of aftertaste, but a pleasant one. I liked Banana Cookie. If you like banana, Banana Cookie will not let you down. It is made out of dates, banana and almonds. Cherry Pie is not bad either. The dates in this Cherry Pie mellow out the cherry flavor and the almonds provide the crunch.
Here is the complete list of the 19 available flavors:
- Apple Pie
- Banana Bread
- Blueberry Muffin
- Carrot Cake
- Cashew Cookie
- Cherry Pie
- Chocolate Chip Brownie
- Chocolate Chip Cherry Torte
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Chocolate Coconut Chew
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Ginger Snap
- Key Lime Pie
- Lemon Bar
- Peanut Butter & Jelly
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
- Peanut Butter Cookie
- Pecan Pie
- Tropical Fruit Tart
If you are city folks who wake up late and always find challenging to prepare breakfast, Larabars may be ideal for you to munch while walking. Each bar is about 200 to 230 calories each. So, take it in moderation.
For people who tend to get hungry between meals, Larabar is indeed a healthy snack. And convenient too. For sure, it is better than cookies, chocolates, fries or ice cream. In fact, Larabars were featured in one of The Biggest Loser.
If you are walkers, long distance runners, bikers or hikers, I suggest you to try it out. It has decent amount of carbs for endurance energy. Take note that it is not a protein bar and therefore may not be suitable for competitive races.
Bear in mind that you should not replace your proper meal with Larabar. You still need to have balanced diet to gain vitamins.
In short, if you want a whole food snack bar, Larabar is definitely a good choice. As claimed by the company, it is “energy in its purest form”. My cousin brother has given all of his Larabars to me, except one. He plans to have it during his long plan rides when he goes back to US next week.
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.