Lemon grows in many countries, but it grows in abundance in Sri Lanka, India, Mexico, Malaysia and West Indies. When lemons are riped, the color changes from green to yellow.
Following are few health benefits of lemon juice:
- Lemon juice is antibacterial. It can kill bacteria of malaria, cholera and typhoid. You probably have seen people adding lemon juice to raw oysters before eating them.
- It contains natural vitamin C. Lemon is famous to cure scurvy which one of its symptops is inflammations of the gum. Scurvy was at one time common disease among sailors aboard ships at sea for extended period.
- Lemonade is a refreshing drink. Not only it cools body, it is also good for bad cold. The next time you have fever, mix some lemon juice and sugar or honey with water.
- Lemon is used for foot relaxation too. You can soak your feet in warm water and them rub them with lemon juice. This action will open the pores and the lemon juice provides a cooling effect. This treatment is said to promote better sleep because of its relaxing action on the foot nerves.
- Some ladies are using lemon juice mixed with water to wash hair as they believe it will add to the brightness.
- Another small tip – you can add some lemon juice to other fruits like apple to prevent discoloration of the flesh when exposed to air.
How To Buy A Sweet Lemon
Not all lemons are sweet. Here are the tips:
- Choose a firm and clear yellow colored lemon.
- Comparing equal-sized lemon, choose one which is heavier. Greater weight indicates more mineral content and sugar.
- Go for thin skinned lemon which tends to be heavier with more mineral contents.
- At the two ends on the lemon, identify the “butt” of the lemon. The stem here are star shaped and you will see 3, 4 or 5 points from this star. The more the number of points, the higher the mineral contents.
- Room temperature lemons give more juice than those refrigerated. So, remove them from fridge before juicing them.
- Before juicing, try microwaving the lemon and you will get more juice. However, do not overdo it as you are not supposed to cook the lemon!
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.