Be Strong. Be Fit.


 
 

Why Should You Eat the Juicy Watermelon?

September 24th, 2011 · 1 Comment ·
 
 

juicy-red-watermelon.jpg

When I was small, I like having cold juicy watermelon for dessert.  Now, when I am older, not only because of its taste, watermelon health benefits have got me “addicted” to it.

Here are few reasons you should eat watermelon too:

  1. Watermelon consists of mostly water, as much as 92 percent and the remaining 8 percent is sugar.  So, watermelon itself is already sweet.  If you are ordering watermelon juice at restaurant, make sure the stall is not adding sugar to your drink.
  2. As with orange, watermelon is a great source of Vitamin C.  Vitamin C boosts your immune system so that you will not get sick easily.  Furthermore, Vitamin C slows down aging.  Watermelon also has other vitamin (A and B6) but their amounts are not significant unless you eat several kilograms of watermelon a day.
  3. Few types of watermelon are available out there.  One of them is the yellow colored flesh Yellow Crimson Watermelon.  I find that this yellow flesh is sweeter than the red flesh.  However, red color flesh has this thing called Lycopene which is an antioxidant. Antioxidants should be a staple in your diet.  The antioxidants of watermelon are actually very concentrated.  Scientific studies have shown that Lycopene has helped to reduce the chances of having heart attack and cancers including prostate cancer and colon cancer.  So, gentleman, you may want to get your wife to include watermelon in her grocery shopping list next time.

Another important health benefits of watermelon is related to kidney.  Watermelon has lots of potassium which is helpful in cleaning the toxic depositions in kidneys.  In fact, most melons are rich in potassium.

crisp-watermelon.jpg

Tips in Buying and Storing Watermelon

In some countries, watermelons are not available all year long.  In my country, I can get it any time!  Here are few of my tips in getting the ripe and ready-to-eat melon:

  • Choose the watermelon which has at least 80% dark green color outside. Avoid those which have very pale green color.
  • Knock on the outside of the rind. If it gives hollow sound, it means the melon is ready to eat.  If you hear solid sound, it means it is not ripe yet.
  • If you have unripe watermelon and you want to eat it soon, instead of storing it in the fridge, leave it uncut at the room temperature.  Keeping it in paper bag un-refrigerated makes it even ripe faster.

Next time when you are thirsty looking for energy drink, consider having watermelon.  Nothing can beat the crisp and cold juicy slide of watermelon!

Share-It.jpg

 
 

Email This Post Email This Post

Category: Nutrition


If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.
 
 
1 response so far ↓
Leave a Comment