Ear candling or ear coning is an alternative therapy that involves lighting one end of a hollow candle (or burning wick) and place the other end in the ear canal. The large end is about one inch in diameter whereas the other end is small enough to go into ear. Ear candling may have originated from ancient Tibet, China, Egypt or the pre-Columbian Americas, but no one knows the exact inventors.
Proponents of Ear Candling:
- People doing that believe ear candling can extract ear wax and remove toxins.
- Proponents say the smoke moves down the cone, into the ear canal and back out, creating a vacuum effect that draws out debris and wax.
- Some believers even claim that impurities are removed from the inner ear or even the facial sinuses, all of which are somehow connected to the canal. Symptoms of headaches, ear buzzing, migraine, cold or stress can be treated with ear candling.
- The candles are made of dripless paraffin wax and they will not drip back down into the ear. In fact, they should not drip at all.
Those Who Do Not Think Ear Candling Works:
- Candling does not create vacuum. Researchers actually took the pressure reading inside and outside of the ear and found that no difference of pressure has been observed. Therefore, it is not possible that the ear wax get “sucked” out.
- The notion that the ear canal is connected to structures beyond the eardrum is not true. The external ear canal is not connected to the brain. Therefore, it is impossible for the so called “impurities” from the brain to pass through the eardrum.
- Ear wax exists for a reason. It cleans and lubricates the ear. It also keeps bacteria and fungus away from the canal. Moreover, ear has its self cleaning system that removed ear wax. In normal cases, ear wax moves along the ear canal and eventually it will be removed to outside taking together any accumulated dirt. If you have compacted ear wax, it should be removed by doctor with special instruments.
- You can burn one candle in open air. Once it is done, slice it open and you will see wax and powder which is the same with the one go into your ear. So, the “impurities” that appear in the collected wax are ashes from the burnt wick and wax of the cone, and not from the ear. In short, no effect.
- Candling can be dangerous. You can get your ear, skin and hair burnt because of the hot wax.
- As far as medical benefits concern, it is pretty obvious ear candling does not give any. As for spiritual effects, I am not certain about it.
If ear candling can work, next time if someone suffers from constipation, poke a candle into his ass hole and… I know it is gross, so I better stop here.
Seriously, the next time your hearing is blocked or get clogged after your deep sea scuba diving, instead of going for ear candling, it is safer to get a doctor to diagnose it.
If you like this or other articles in this blog, Subscribe to MunFitnessBlog.com today. It is free.
Scroll down to leave a comment. I really want to know what you think.
Found what you were looking for? If not, try searching for it below.